Monday, February 10, 2014

D- DAY HAS ARRIVED FOR ME

A CLEARED SECTION IN THE OLD CHRISTCHURCH CBD
THIS IS NEAR CATHEDRAL SQUARE
BUT WE HAVE LOST SO MANY LAND MARKS EVEN THE LOCALS GET LOST

I promised myself I would start my 'New Plan' on February 10th. That's today.

Reading back on what I intended to do is a little scary so I have modified my beginning. I did say we would go dairy free from today but I'm simply not ready and I do not think John is either. I'll review this decision in 4 weeks time.

In the meantime I am eating normal, for me, food. It's higher in fat and lower in carbs but not thinking in terms of being ketogenic although I know that might be better for my brain and thus my mental health.

I feel slightly less stressed but will be starting on St John's Wort as soon as I do some shopping. I also need to get back into the habit of taking my vitamin B Complex Stress Formula.

We had a pleasant almost 3 weeks in Christchurch staying with our youngest son and his wife. This is the 6th day since we came home and it's promising to be a hot one. I hope it doesn't get too muggy as well. Yesterday I became most unwell while preparing dinner. Not sure whether it was the warmth and humidity or dehydration. It felt like a major hot flush ..... at 75 years old.... I ask you, Do they ever end? Today I don't feel too great but since the morning is cool it's better than last night. I'm thinking about going to visit our daughter at Simpsons Beach and having a swim this afternoon.
ANYONE FOR COFFEE?
AN INFORMAL SETTING MADE WITH RECYCLED PLASTIC BINS, WOOD PALLETS AND OLD SIGNS.
VERY ATTRACTIVE AND WELL USE AT LUNCH TIMES BY PEOPLE WHO WORK NEARBY

My weight..... oh this is so boring..... I weigh almost exactly what I weighed 7th January 2013. 85.8 kg/189 pounds. The good news is that I have lost nearly 2 kg since our long travel day last Tuesday. We left our son's house about 8 am and arrived home about 5 pm. It's the drive home from Auckland Airport that kills it, especially when all through the hills we were stuck behind tourists who are scared of our roads.

Now I need to read my original suggested plan again and think about what I am doing to implement it. I am very aware of the weight I have gained, about 5.5 kg/12 pound which is almost a stone in my old pre-metric language. I am also aware that I feel flabby since I stopped using the cross-trainer regularly.

I really appreciated Tom Naughton's, (Fat Head), explanation of why New Year's Resolutions do not last. Character or Chemistry is a well written, humerous and personal observation. Now move on to the rest of the series and read

Part 2. Do you recognise the people who you thought were secretly cheating and lying about eating like a bird and not losing weight?

Part 3  "Thermodynamic paradoxes" is a technical term which refers, in this case, to the fact that some people do not metabolize calories according to the law of thermodynamics. ie Calories in and calories out balancing out. Check it out on Wikipedia. 

Part 4 Some 'before and after' photos of people successful on LCHF diets and more about the chemistry that makes them work.

There is continuing research and release of fresh discovery every day it seems. One thing I keep in mind is that I am a woman, I am older than all of the subjects of research I have seen mentioned and I have seen suggestions that women might need more carbohydrates than men. It is just possible that a long term ketogenic diet may not be right for women. I have even read that potatoes are not as bad for a low carb diet as I had believed.
LAUGHTER WORKS

It's all a matter of finding what works and is sustainable for your own life and body. I cannot believe that I am only just beginning to scratch the surface of what this means for me. I hope I never lose the ability to learn and make necessary changes but sometimes I do feel too old to bother any more.
TURNING A DISASTER INTO AN ART GALLERY


4 comments:

  1. Welcome back Anne :) Firstly potatoes... I'm sure they are fine but for me, I have really bad blood sugar spikes with them so I've decided they are a real treat, not a daily food. I don't think you should be ketogenic either. Life is for living and a slightly higher carb intake means you can get some decent fibre from lots of good vegetables etc. Eat the way that makes you happy - while still eating healthy.

    I love dairy too much to think about giving that up - I have stopped most milk though and mainly have cream in coffee or some cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear from you again... welcome home!
    It sounds like you are ready to do some more tweaking. I'm glad you aren't guilting yourself into doing stuff you don't feel ready for. It's hard enough to make changes when we ARE motivated. But to force ourselves before we are truly committed...well, I think that's just sort of guaranteeing failure.

    I've read some of the same things about a lot of those studies not being geared for women, especially older women. Seems we have to experiment, and find out what works for us as individuals. I'm glad you are taking it more relaxed... and hope you find a way that is healthy yet not stressful.

    Hugs,
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I really like your new header. He truly IS our source of help. When I came here and saw that, it felt like a big hug, and a reminder of His love. It's been rough for me... still sick since Dec 1st... so I appreciate reading that verse, and the rest of it in your sidebar. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you got back safe and sound... There are so many different diets/lifestyle changes etc out there, no wonder people are confused, well I am anyway lol

    ReplyDelete