Thursday, February 13, 2014

TAKING IT EASY

Thank-you everyone for wishing me the best for the surgery.

As expected yesterday was a very long day and has left me somewhat exhausted, although not as bad as I thought I might be.

We left home about 7.45 am but I woke up about 4 am and could not go back to sleep. So annoying when I had set my alarm for 6 am.

We had a good drive to Hamilton. There was more morning sun than forecast, a couple brief hold-ups for road works and rain before for the last 30 or so minutes into Hamilton.

There was a lot of hanging around once we checked in at the Day Surgery Office. I felt as though I was on some kind of production line as I got processed from one waiting room to another. The surgery went without a hitch and recovery time less than one hour. The comparatively simple surgery with a local anaesthetic sent my blood pressure soaring. Before surgery it was 137/95. The anaethetist thought my BP very acceptable considering I take no medication. After surgery 188/86. I was afraid for a minute they would keep me longer but they believed me when I said it was an aberration and I'd keep checking it at home. Have not done so yet.

Our drive home was uneventful. We left the hospital just after 5 pm in peak traffic and stopped in Morrinsville for petrol and at New World where we bought crackers, camembert, diet ginger beer. (Bunerburg, of course), a packet of Whitakers Peppermint, Dark Chocolate mini bars and a small bag of roasted mixed nuts. We stopped under some lovely big oak trees and sat in the car to feast. The wind was too cold to sit out at the picnic table.

We walked in the door at home about 9.15 making it just 13.5 hours from home and back. There was not a lot of pain with this but even so I kept up the paracetemol to stay comfortable. I fell asleep somewhere in the hills, lolling around, hanging in my seat belt for half an hour.

I am glad to be home in my own recliner with no wheels moving under me.

I slept reasonably well last night and woke this morning with No Pain. My eyelid is too swollen to do anything so I cannot tell how successful the implant is. I am rather one-eyed today and have to watch out as my depth perception is way off. I must keep reminding myself to not let go of things until I hear them touch the table or whatever I am placing the object on and I am certain it is stable. In particular this applies to cups of hot coffee. I have to watch out for steps too but that's nothing new.

I'm simply eating what I feel like, so this morning I had oat porridge with sugar and coconut milk. Yummy even after burning the pot. John is a brick. He always cleans up my burnt pots, with plenty of complaining, I might add. For some reason he has taken over responsibility for most of the housework. I've decided it suits me so all I have to do is turn off from hearing the complaints that utter forth. I have some Nestlé cappuccino sachets which are helping to keep my coffee addiction alive an well.

I was given a prescription for ointment when discharged from Post Op yesterday. It was too late to fill it anywhere except the emergency pharmacy and we had no desire to drive into the business part of Hamilton in rush hour. John is away now getting some groceries and the prescription. If anything makes me mad-angry it is the lack of consideration toward the individual at big hospitals. I know the script was written out hours earlier and sitting in my file. It would have been so much easier if someone had given it to us earlier. John would have gone to a nearby pharmacy before they all closed for the day. He could have done with staying home today. Yesterday was demanding on him too. Driving through the hills on our narrowish, winding, twisty roads takes a lot of energy. There is no chance to relax, especially at this time of year when there are many tourists not to mention crazy NZ drivers who think it's safe to pass approaching blind bends.

 Just another little thing we have to cope with as long as we live on the Coromandel Peninsula. I would have opted for not driving home but we have been away such a lot it's nice to come home at the end of a day.

Later.... I was going to look for suitable photos but I'm done for the day. The swelling has gone down enough for me to work my eyelid. Yay! I have a nice black eye developing. I won't be going anywhere without dark glasses to hide behind for a while.

Let's see what tomorrow brings as that's all for today.

5 comments:

  1. Even though you have a black eye and swelling, it sounds like a successful surgery, since you are already able to work the eyelid. Hooray! I'm hoping it will soon be more comfortable for you to take those walks on the beach, without the wind causing such discomfort.
    Yay for progress. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope this helps with the pain and quality of life! I'm glad you've finally had it done. Now relax, try to eat well and get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that you are both home safe and well. Well done John, a good man! Very best wishes for a successful recovery. Relax and put your energy into healing. Like Lynda, I hope this procedure will improve your quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: I love the photo you have as your header.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am glad it all went well... have a restful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete